Sunday, February 19, 2012

Indefinite position as a research scientist


It is final.  I signed a contract and accepted an indefinite position of research scientist in CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences

I am certainly happy; but I am not outrageously happy.  In fact, I was more excited when my paper was accepted by Conservation Biology lately.  On the other hand, in this case the level of excitement is probably not a good indicator for my happiness.  I learned that I got the position a week ago from an unofficial source, and I had known that I had a big chance of getting the position when they asked me to apply for it. 

The indefinite position means stability than anything else.  Now both Mr Hippo and myself got a tenure position, we can finally settle in Canberra for a while, say, the next 10 years?  This is a pleasant change from our previous nomadic lifestyle--we both did our PhDs in a foreign country/USA and then had to move again, across continents, for jobs.  Even in early 2011, I remember telling my friends, "We could be anywhere in the world in about a year's time because Mr Hippo is hunting for jobs all over the world."

The downside of being stable, of course, is to get bored, as the cartoon indicates.  Luckily, this is not a going to be a big issue for academics.  The best part about being a researcher is that I have to continue to update myself with new knowledge and techniques.  It is more likely, though, we get bored at living in Canberra someday, in which case we might move again.  To Europe, perhaps?   But before that day comes, we can also travel to different parts of the world for vacations etc.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder--I am sure Canberra/home will be a lot more desirable after a tiring trip far or near!

No comments:

Post a Comment