Friday, June 20, 2014

Confidence: the stuff that truns thoughts into action

One friend of mine recently talked about how she suddenly realized she had been lack of confidence, after a senior colleague, also female,  pointed it out to her.  In my friend's proposal, she used the words like "I was lucky to..." as if she didn't deserve all her achievements.

I, too, have the same issue, probably even more so because of my cultural background.  In China, we were taught to be modest and contribute to our accomplishment to some collective efforts (集体的荣誉)....  

To some degree it is soothing to know that this issue of lack of confidence is almost universal for women, not only me and my girl friend.  This recent article in the Atlantic claims research after research shows the same result.

What is the solution then? The article doesn't really offer much but it does point out "The natural result of low confidence is inaction.  when women hesitate because we aren't sure, we hold ourselves back..."

So, stop thinking too much and just ACT!

No comments:

Post a Comment